1/12 as a decimal is 0.083
Want to practice?
In the fraction 1/12 , the number 1 is
In the fraction 1/12 , the number 12 is
What is the equivalent fraction to 1/12?
All fractions can be converted to the decimal form by the long division method.
Let us do the long division for the given fraction.
- When the dividend is less than the divisor, add a decimal point to the quotient and add 0 to the dividend.
- We can see that the dividend is still 10 and cannot be divided by 12. Hence add another 0 after the decimal point in the quotient and add 0 to the dividend to make it 0.
- Carry out the division. It can be seen that the remainder 4 is recurring and hence the digit 3 in the quotient is repeated.
- We can stop the division here as we know that the answer is a non-terminating decimal.
Hence the decimal form of the fraction
Here we can see that the digit 3 is repeating and hence it can be denoted with the help of a bar over the number.
Note that the digit 8 is not repeated and hence the bar has to be drawn only for the digits that are repeated.
Here are some common terms you should be familiar with.
- In the fraction
, the number 1 is the dividend (our numerator)
- The number 12 is our divisor (our denominator).
Find More Fractions to Decimals
Such a topic may be interesting for you: What is 13/16 as a decimal fraction?