Practicing for the SHSAT exam and understanding the exam format is the best way to prepare and ace this to get into your desired Specialized High School. If you are not already familiar with the format, here are the important things you must know.
- The Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT) is 180 minutes long (3 hours).
- You can complete the exam in any order.
- There are two main parts to the exam English Language Arts and Mathematics.
- Both sections contain 57 questions each and you are not penalized for wrong answers.
- No calculators are allowed
- You must be familiar with grammar rule since the exam consists of Revising and Editing questions on the ELA section for the SHSAT exam.
As promised, below you will see some free SHSAT quizzes that we offer! After you take the quiz, you can also see the number of questions you got correct and incorrect. It’s very important to have ample practice for the SHSAT exam so when you get a question wrong, please understand why you marked the wrong answer, and make sure you understand how to get to the correct answer.
ArgoPrep offers some free SHSAT material but we also offer a comprehensive online learning platform for the exam which includes 30+ hours of video lessons and over 3,000+ practice questions.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS
The first quiz on this page is going to be from the Revising/Editing portion of the ELA section. As we mentioned above, it is imperative that you are familiar with all grammar rules to do well on this section. Aside from the Revising/Editing section, the rest of the ELA section is composed of Reading Comprehension. You can find out more about this section here.
Let’s go ahead and try this practice quiz!
ELA Practice Quiz
Take a quiz
The mathematics portion of the SHSAT exam consists of 5 Grid-In questions followed by 52 multiple choice questions. The four big topics tested on SHSAT math is Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, and Statistics. These math topics are all based off of 7th grade common core math standards, however, you should anticipate these questions to be more challenging than the state exams. Therefore, it’s important to get high-quality level practice while preparing for the exam. At ArgoPrep, we offer over 3,000+ questions as well as detailed video lessons covering everything you need to know.
Go ahead and try the free SHSAT practice test below.
MATH Practice Quiz
Take a quiz
More SHSAT Practice Questions
Mathematics Practice Questions:
1. Lucy scored a 85, 64 and 76 on her math exams. What score must Lucy obtain on the next math test to have an average of exactly 80?
2. Helga has 4 dogs, 3 cats and 2 birds. If she closes her eyes and picks one animal, what is the probability that it does not have 4 legs?
4. The sum of seven consecutive odd integers is 749, what is the largest of the seven integers?
5. What is the probability that a point chosen will be in the shaded region?
6. A computer originally priced at $550.50 is on sale for 20% off. Jamie used a 5% discount coupon which was applied to the sales price. How much did Jamie pay for the computer? (Assume there is no tax.)
7. Which number line below shows the solution to the inequality
8. There are a total of 5 bicycles and tricycles in a park. There are 12 wheels. How many tricycles are there?
9. A rectangle is inscribed in a circle. The rectangle is tangent at the points A, B, C and D. If the diagonal of the rectangle is 20 inches long, what is the area of the circle?
10. What is the largest number of digits the product of a 3 digit and a 2 digit number has?
A. 4 digits
B. 5 digits
C. 6 digits
D. 7 digits
English Language Arts Practice Questions:
1. Read the paragraph below.
1) One of my happiest childhood memories is baking pies with my grandmother every fall. (2) My mother also baked, but I always felt a strong connection to the pies my grandma and I would make with the apples from her back yard. (3) The process would start with us picking the sweetest, most delicious-looking apples from their Golden Delicious tree. (4) Then, I would wash and peel the apples while my grandmother made the dough for our crust. (5) When the pie was ready to be filled, my grandmother would always let me put the cinnamon on top of the apples, which was my favorite part.
Which sentence is least relevant and should be removed from the paragraph?
A. Sentence 2
B. Sentence 3
C. Sentence 4
D. Sentence 5
2. Read the paragraph below.
I met a traveller from an antique land Who said: “Two vast and trunkless legs of stone Stand in the desert . . . Near them, on the sand, (3) Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown, And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command, Tell that its sculptor well those passions read (6) Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things, The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed: And on the pedestal these words appear: (9) ‘My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!’ Nothing beside remains. Round the decay (12) Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare The lone and level sands stretch far away.”
Based on the passage, which of these is the safest conclusion about the sculptor who created the statue being described?
A. The sculptor was among the most skilled of his time
B. The sculptor wanted to flatter Ozymandias with the statue
C. The sculptor found Ozymandias to be very intimidating
D. The sculptor was killed for not producing a good enough statue
3. Read the paragraph below.
(1) Stan Lee revolutionized the comic book world as a writer for Marvel Comics. (2) In 1961, Lee and his partner Jack Kirby created the Fantastic Four, a team of four radioactive heroes who changed the way comics were written. (3) Within three years, Lee had also created the Hulk Thor Spider-Man and the X-Men all of whom are still major characters for Marvel more than 50 years later. (4) Lee’s signature was creating deeply flawed characters who seemed like real people with real problems, even though they were fictional heroes with incredible powers.
Which revision would correct the comma use in Sentence 3?
A. …Lee had also created the Hulk, Thor, Spider-Man and the X-Men all of whom are still major characters for Marvel more than 50 years later.
B. …Lee had also created the Hulk, Thor, Spider-Man, and the X-Men all of whom are still major characters for Marvel more than 50 years later.
C. …Lee had also created the Hulk Thor Spider-Man, and the X-Men, all of whom are still major characters for Marvel more than 50 years later.
D. …Lee had also created the Hulk, Thor, Spider-Man, and the X-Men, all of whom are still major characters for Marvel more than 50 years later.
4. Read the sentence below.
After the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, the civil war continued for almost two months before the last Confederate forces surrendered in Oklahoma, ending the war.
Which edit should be made to correct the sentence?
A. Change civil war to Civil War
B. Change Confederate to confederate
C. Change forces to Forces
D. Change ending the war to ending the War
5. Read the sentence below.
22 Short Films About Springfield is considered one of the most artistic episodes in the history of The Simpsons.
Which revision correctly formats the titles in the sentence?
A. 22 Short Films About Springfield is considered one of the most artistic episodes in the history of The Simpsons.
B. “22 Short Films About Springfield” is considered one of the most artistic episodes in the history of “The Simpsons.”
C. 22 Short Films About Springfield is considered one of the most artistic episodes in the history of “The Simpsons.”
D. “22 Short Films About Springfield” is considered one of the most artistic episodes in the history of The Simpsons.
6. Read the sentence below.
Whenever I travel to San Francisco, I always go to Golden Gate park to see the herd of bison that live in the middle of the city.
Which revision is needed to correct the sentence?
A. Remove the comma after San Francisco
B. Change park to Park
C. Change herd to heard
D. Change bison to Bison
7. Read the sentence below.
My favorite food, which is macaroni and cheese, can be made with a variety of different cheeses and noodles, each of which creates a unique version of the dish.
Which revision best eliminates wordiness in the sentence while maintaining all of the main ideas?
A. My favorite food, macaroni and cheese, can be made with a variety of different cheeses and noodles, creating many unique versions of the dish.
B. Macaroni and cheese, which is my favorite food, can be made with a variety of different pastas and cheeses, which creates several different unique versions of the dish.
C. It’s easy to make a variety of versions of macaroni and cheese, which is my favorite food.
D. You can create many different variations of macaroni and cheese by using different cheeses and noodles.
8. Read the paragraph below.
(1) Oases are among the most breathtaking wonders of nature. (2) Wandering in the dry, depressing desert landscape, oases provide travelers and desert animals with much-needed water, as well as hope. (3) On the other hand, one of the desert’s cruelest tricks is a mirage. (4) Mirages occur when visible light is bent in the hot desert sky to create an illusion, which often looks like an oasis. (5) Many weary travelers, desperate for water, have chased an oasis on the horizon, only to have their hearts broken by a mirage.
What kind of error is present in Sentence 2?
A. Subject-verb agreement
B. Passive Voice
C. Dangling Modifier
D. Comma Use
9. Read the paragraph below.
(1) Having studied a pack of wolves in the wild for nine months, I know a thing or two about their behavior. (2) Wolves are highly social and form tight bonds within their pack. (3) Wolves work together in a pack to obtain food, protect themselves from other animals, meet potential mates, and raise pups in a safe environment. (4) A pack guards their territory very aggressively, however, and a wolf will not greet an outsider with the same warmth it would extend to one of its pack members. (5) Although they have been maligned for centuries as heartless killers, wolves display incredible love and tenderness with their pups and companions.
Which revision of Sentence 4 corrects the use of pronouns?
A. A pack guards their territory very aggressively, however, and a wolf will not greet an outsider with the same warmth he or she would extend to one of its pack members.
B. A pack guards their territory very aggressively, however, and a wolf will not greet an outsider with the same warmth it would extend to one of it’s pack members.
C. A pack guards its territory very aggressively, however, and a wolf will not greet an outsider with the same warmth it would extend to one of its pack members.
D. A pack guards its territory very aggressively, however, and a wolf will not greet an outsider with the same warmth it would extend to one of it’s pack members.
10. Read the paragraph below.
(1) Although a couple’s wedding day is generally regarded as one of the happiest days of their lives, many married pairs admit the build-up to the big day is extremely stressful. (2) Planning a wedding involves an incredible number of considerations, including finding a venue for the event, figuring out how you will supply food to your guests, determining the itinerary for the entire day, and making endless decisions about decorations. (3) All these responsibilities eat into personal time, which is especially challenging because people planning weddings are often young and at formational times in their careers. (4) By the time the big day actually arrives many couples are as ready to be done with the process as they are excited to be married.
Which revision is necessary to correct Sentence 4?
A. Insert a comma after arrives
B. Change process to processes
C. Insert a comma after process
D. Change excited to exciting
How much is 1 + 1?
Because tra ra ra