The Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT) can be intimidating because it has great power in determining your admissions to one of the prestigious high schools New York City has to offer. If you’re looking to improve your SHSAT score, here are some tips that will make a difference in your results:
- Identify your area(s) of weakness and start there
- Take a series of practice tests
When you’re selecting a practice test to use, make sure it includes detailed explanations of all the answers. That way, if you miss a question or struggle with a certain type of problem, you can walk through it step-by-step and understand how to arrive at the correct answer next time.
- Set up a high-quality study group
- Make the most of SHSAT official materials
- Practice timing your decision-making
Here’s a fun exercise to help you improve your SHSAT time management: give yourself a time limit on your small daily decisions in the weeks leading up to the test. If you only give yourself 30 seconds to decide what to have for lunch or a minute and a half to determine which movie you want to watch, you’ll get better at making decisive, informed choices in a short period of time. You want to build confidence in the choices you make.
- Read about news and current events in your spare time
We know you are only in middle school, so we don’t expect you to understand every word written in a New York Times article! However, reading from high quality sources is the best way to improve your overall reading comprehension. Try to read one article a day from a respected source like the New York Times or Wall Street Journal. Doing this alone will put you at a major advantage in your academic life in middle school, high school and beyond! We want you to excel in life and not just this exam!
What do you think about this article? Share your opinion with us
- GRE Prep: Extreme words teaser (Part 2)
- Family Words: A Complete List of Words
- Big, Ugly, Hairy Wrong Fallacies, Part 2
- 6 Ways You're Messing Up Your Homeschool Schedule
- 4th Grade Learning Games to Try at Home
- How to Help Children Develop Growth Mindset
- GRE Prep: Hard-level Reading Comprehension Questions (Part 6)
Lear more about ArgoPrep's SHSAT ProgramLearn more
Share good content with friends and get 15% discount for 12-month subscription