3/8 as a decimal is 0.375.
In the fraction 3/8 , the number 8 is
In the fraction 3/8 , the number 3 is
How to do the long division method?
- To convert the fraction to decimal write the numbers in the long division with 3 as the dividend and 8 as the divisor.
- As 3 cannot be divided by 8, we can add 0 to 3 to make it 30 and add a decimal point in the quotient.
- Continue the division, if you get a remainder that is smaller than 8, you can add 0 to it to make it divisible by 8.
- Perform the division till you get the remainder 0 or till the remainder gets repeated.
Here we have performed the division till we arrived at 0 as the remainder. As we cannot divide further, the answer would be the quotient we got from this division, 0.375.
Here are some common terms you should be familiar with.
- In the fraction
, the number 3 is the dividend (our numerator)
- The number 8 is our divisor (our denominator).